Friday, February 18, 2011

The passing of Judith Binney

I was saddened this week to hear of the death of Judith Binney, one of New Zealand’s most eminent historians and storytellers.
My only personal contact with Professor Binney was in the early 1990s when I was studying history and politics at Auckland University and I took her comparative paper on the colonisation of New Zealand/Aotearoa and Mexico. Her lectures and tutorials were fascinating - she was a dynamic storyteller who understood both oral and written narrative techniques and used them with considerable power to explore and analyse historical events, characters and relationships.
Her books are national treasures and I guess it’s some comfort to know her work was honoured while she was alive.
May she rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment